My photo
I am a writer of novels, plays and film scripts. I live in Manchester England with my partner Andy and our teenage son Jack. Andy and I started my Newsletter Raw Meat and began publishing with Rawprintz in 1999 to showcase my work. Some of you may be confused by my continual references to Ziggy, that’s my wheelchair! Both Andy and I are writers. I’ve recently lost my sight – hence the continual reference to my being confused! Thanks for visiting.

My Comrades...

9.5.10

Dry Rot Book Review...


RAWPRINTZ

MANCHESTER

PRESENTS…


DRY ROT


STINGING SATIRE

FROM NICOLA BATTY

The scene is suitably set, with an appropriately bland backdrop of depressing Old Trafford, Manchester…

Fran’s atmospherically charged retrospective recollections serve, not only to mix Sex with Religion to great effect, but also to expose the ‘anarchistic’ tendencies of Punk-era attitudes, for what they really were… distractions from the apathetic existence of a bored generation, whose virulent indifference to authority had taken root, flourished and spread, to Teen, and middle-age Wastelands alike.

The (larger-than-life…?) characters are illustrated to surreal perfection in this metaphor-laden, irreverent frolic through the ironies that spawned this ‘Dry Rot’ – most notably, Fran’s sexually confused (or confident…?) ‘Mentor’, Mary – quite contrary…and whose ‘garden’ grows… well… in both directions… conceiving a devil that, ultimately, foils the best laid plans for revenge, despite claiming two (or is it three…or even four…?) victims in the process.


Stan Ski

Elephant Small


1 comment:

  1. Delighted to find this site! I'm a huge fan of Nicola Batty,both as a writer & a person. I've unbounded admiration for her imagination, her courage and determination.She is a person who will let NOTHING get in the way of achieving her objectives! Keep trucking Nicola, My Darling.
    Your friend & admirer, Nick Simons (You are a true inspiration to me.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting please leave a comment.