My photo
I am a writer of novels, plays and film scripts. I live in Manchester England with my partner Andy and our teenage son Jack. Andy and I started my Newsletter Raw Meat and began publishing with Rawprintz in 1999 to showcase my work. Some of you may be confused by my continual references to Ziggy, that’s my wheelchair! Both Andy and I are writers. I’ve recently lost my sight – hence the continual reference to my being confused! Thanks for visiting.

My Comrades...

6.6.10

I'M HALF SICK OF SHADOWS

I found this painting in one of my art books about twenty-five years ago and decided to copy it, as the original is in a private collection.



This is one of my favorite Pre-Raphaelite reproductions, partly because I really like the original... The final phase of the Pre-Raphaelites have their own very distinct style, involving lots of rich colours. Also I was very pleased with the way my efforts turned out... Andy thinks it's better than Sidney Harold Meteyard's 1913 original! It's the dramatic colours I love most about this picture... they faithfully convey that feeling of dangerous dreaming. By the way the title is a quote from Tennyson's poem The Lady of Shalott.

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved this painting. I knew it was a copy, but now I know about the original. I'll show it to Changnoi when he comes home from school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good painting. I hope you have more to show us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you like the picture... Andy says my version is better than the original!! Well, I don't know about this... but I must admit to being rather proud of it. We're going to try to put another picture on every week... that's the idea anyway. By the way maybe I'll see you soon! Until then- Nic

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting please leave a comment.